Sunday, September 18, 2011

Placentophagia

There is a name for it and my husband was actually the one that told me that.  So, I'm not totally off the wall weird, he is too for knowing that.  LOL!!  And yes that is what I did this week.  If you don't like it don't read this post, but I think its pretty cool.  And yes, there are a ton of benefits and my crunchy self is reaping them.  You can consume your placenta two different ways.  Eating it raw or having someone encapsulate it for you.  I chose the first because I figured that would give me the most benefit and right away and I don't have the extra finances to have someone dehydrate and encapsulate for me.  So, I had Dave wash it, cut it up and freeze it for me.  Instantly ready for making smoothies with.  It just seemed natural to me after watching so many of my own animals consume their own and the benefits outweighed not doing it at all.  Here are some benefits:

  • Decrease in baby blues and postpartum depression.


  • Increase and enrich breast milk.


  • Increase in energy.


  • Decrease in lochia, postpartum bleeding.


  • Decrease iron deficiency.


  • Decrease insomnia or sleep disorders


  • I was depressed after James' birth, not much energy and not having to bleed for 5 or 6 weeks means I've almost completely stopped already and I'm back to sleeping well already.  I didn't really sleep for the first two weeks after James was born.  This rocks!!!  I can tell I feel so much better this time around.  I'm definitely doing it again if I do get the chance.  And baby gets to benefit from a mom who feels good and can take care of her needs better because I feel great!!  Some body parts are still sore and my back is still getting used to carrying around a 9lb baby, but I feel good, darn it.

    So, this is how I did it.  I'm sure everyone has their own smoothie recipe, but this is what I did.

    1/2 can of organic coconut milk
    3 or 4 frozen strawberries
    3/4 of a banana
    1/4 of my placenta (really depends on how big your placenta is, you may want to divide it into 6th or 7th's.  Mine wasn't too big so I did it by quarters.)
    2 kale leaves (optional, but I thought I might as well boost this smoothie with greenery)

    Now, put it in your mother in laws blender and watch her squirm.  This is the best part by the way.  LOL!  It was totally concealed by the other flavors in the smoothie.  Though if I had known I would have had Dave wash off the chunks after cutting it up as well.  He washed the outside, but once you start cutting it, it gets bloody again and that can give you a salty after taste.  Not bad, but you don't have to look at your smoothie like your a vampire.

    Now gulp it down, because the sooner you do the better your going to feel after giving birth and the better you will be able to savor these newborn days that don't last that long anyway.  :D

    6 comments:

    1. That doesn't sound so bad. I planned on having my mom dehydrate and encapsulate it, but it sounds a lot simpler to smoothy-fy it. Did you eat 1/4 a day?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yeah, it was really easy and tasted fine and it allows you to start eating it right away. I felt so much better after I did and I could sleep again.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I forgot to say, it just depends on how big your placenta is, every placenta is a different size and you can just put in what is manageable for you. Mine was pretty small.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I forgot to say, it just depends on how big your placenta is, every placenta is a different size and you can just put in what is manageable for you. Mine was pretty small.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Awesome, that sounds easy. A little gross but who cares if it makes you feel good. I'm on board!

      ReplyDelete
    6. You can't taste it unless you don't wash it after you cut it up. And really who cares, with all the benefits you get versus what you have to ingest, right? LOL!

      ReplyDelete